[Steppes] Sunday fighter practice

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Jun 12 09:43:48 PDT 2002

> Cathy, you missed these for Flagpole Hill (they were in an earlier email:
>   * large enough space to play
>   * large amount of shade
>   * bathrooms
>   * parking
>   * archery
>   * equestrian

Equestrian will probably be a non-issue.  Where it might be nice to ride our
horses out there every now and then, equestrian practices are usually held
in the same place where the games don't have to be toted and set up each
time.  There is a good amount involved in the moving and setting up of them,
and that burden is usually carried by someone transporting horses also.
Where Aimee is a wonderful, conscientious person, toting all that stuff out
there from Rowlett and setting it up each week may be kinda rough on her.

As far as Archery goes.  Is the Eastfield practice planning on moving?  If
not, them this is also a moot point.  If they don't mind moving that can be
a plus, but only if the fighters wish to move there.  We cannot move the
fighters for the sake of the archers or visa versa.  They'll just quit
coming.

Bathrooms--I can understand Lord Richard's reluctance, and since he is a
regular fighter I think his needs should be held in very high regard.

Shade--One large shade canopy solves that problem anywhere.

What it really, really, comes down to is where the *fighters* wish to fight
and what is best for them.  All the flowery words about picnics and getting
everyone together for gatherings is a wonderful thing.  However, past
experience has taught many that talk is cheap.

My opinion is that the fighters wanted to move the practice to Carrollton,
it should be their choice if they want to move it back.  If you want a site
to accommodate all these other events happening, perhaps we need to show
that there is an ongoing need.  Since that need has been inadequately
demonstrated in the past, I don't see where it's anyone's business but the
fighters on where they play.  Now if we all of sudden have all these
non-fighters showing up at fighter practice doing a myriad of other things
over a period of time, I could see where it might be in the best interest of
the Barony to look at things with more of an overview.  Until that time
however, I don't think it's my business to tell a fighter where to fight
unless I'm out there also.

Petruccio