[Steppes] Fighter Practice Location: question

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 15:59:37 PDT 2002

There is a problem with trying to compare archery practice to fighter
practice.  A lone archer can practice and have fun.  A lone fighter cannot.
Two archers can have a nice social time, regardless of their disparate skill
levels.  Two heavy fighters cannot, really.  Two fighters in one location
and two in another is not 2 groups having 1/2 as much fun as they could.
It's 2 groups having like 20% as much fun as they can.  Heavy fighting gets
exponentially entertaining because you can fight so many different people
and there are group activities.  Essentially individual activities progress
in entertainment value in a linear manner.  I'm not saying it's not a LOT
more fun do do individual activities in groups, but the actual activity
itself doesn't become more fun.

Please do not take my rebuttal as a condemnation...continue to post your
questions and ideas, they are excellent.

It would be NICE if we could find a common ground where all fighters in the
Steppes were able to attend practice.  But a lot of people raised their
hands as being people who owned armour at the big populace meeting last
year.  A lot of people said they'd try to show up at fighter practices.  And
many of them haven't shown up at a single practice since that time,
unfortunately.

The fact of low fighter attendance at practice pre-dates the practice moving
to Carrollton.  I didn't attend many practices at the Hill, because the
practice in ElfSea at Randol Mill had better attendance at the time and I
was much less "Steppes-Active" so that didn't then matter to me.

I will take a straw poll on Sunday to get the opinions of the fighters who
are in attendance at practice.  Many of these individuals will not be at
Populace, but deserve to have thier voices heard.

Morgan

From: <jspinks at ix.netcom.com>

I can see the various pros and cons of having the practice at the various
locations discussed.  And yes- the practice is primarily for the fighters
but is also for all those that support them as well it seems to me. There
have also been a lot of other excellent points that have been brought out as
well.

But I have a question that I do not think I have seen answered or perhaps I
do not adequately understand all of the issues since I am not on all of the
mail lists and not yet a fighter.

We went through some similar discussions about locations and distance to
practice etc a year or two in the archery groups.  The result was that we
now have a regular Steppes practice held at Eastfield College and another
practice held alternately by Glaslyn and Lindenwood Archery Marshals at
McInnis Park Archery range near I35 and Sandy Lake.    On any given weekend
archers may show at one or the other or both locations.

Although I realize the requirements and objectives are different- could such
an arrangement of east and west practice locations work for fighter practice
as well and more adequately meet everyones needs?  Both locations are doing
well for archery and both reporting new archers on a regular basis with
Eastfield seeing as high as a dozen archers at times.

Jacques the Spink