[Steppes] Submissions Deadline

L LeChatton llechatton at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 09:41:04 PDT 2002

Steppes Letter Equestrian Report (June 26, 2002)

At the time of this writing we are preparing for Guardian of the Tor where
the 1st Elfsea Equestrian Champion will be selected. My thanks go out to all
who helped on the tourney field with the horses, especially Lady Lorraine
who came from Stargate to design the field.

The Tor event finishes our Spring tourney season. We won't have another
competition until the Fall and most of the Fall tournaments are in the more
southern baronies. So a wrap-up for Central is due.

Lindenwood Border Wars
Elfsea Springfaire
Steppes Warlord
Guardian of the Tor

Considering that most Kingdoms only have two or three events a year,
Ansteorra is unusual. Four home events in a "new" region is quite
honourable. It means the Equestrian group has the love and support of our
Baronies. It means that Autocrats think of us when they are planning site
arrangements. Under SCA guidelines, Equestrian camping, our mounts and our
games require special considerations. Ansteorra is a rarity in their support
of Equestrian by Populace and Peers. We are grateful to you all for
including us in the events.

The equestrian activities are argueably the most expensive and time
consuming games in the SCA. First you need a horse, then that horse needs to
be trained and maintained, then the rider needs to train not just how to
ride but also to ride the games. Then you need a truck and trailer to get to
the games, heavy field equipment, and lots of people on and off the field to
run the games. When one is not riding they are either working the field or
tending to their horse(s). That is all on top of all the other regular SCA
trappings and garb for yourself and your mount.

Its not unusual that there we are few in number and not everyone can afford
the time or expense to attend all the tourneys. However, we did gain a few
new regular riders with horses this A.S. XXXVI. Zaynab (Tamara), Allesandra
(Ashia), Becky and her boys, Hugh Heverly (David the Farrier)in addition to
Mistress Ronna, Master Petruccio and Lord Kimball. Then there are those
without their own horses, who came out to ride and support the games, too
numerable to thank. But, I don't think we would have had much of a season
without the people from Gates Edge (5 hour haul), Stargate (5 hour haul),
Seawinds (8 hour haul), Loch Sollier (6 hour haul), Meridies (4 hour haul).
They hauled up equipment and loaner horses, bringing with them all the
experience of the established equestrian communties.

Looking forward to the rest of A.S. XXXVII, we will be having regular
practices in Rockwall (Fox Run) and Glen Rose (Broken-0 Ranch). At this time
the insurance is being worked on for the year. Plus, we will be seeing
everyone out at Flagpole Hill when we can. Regular practices will surely
increase our numbers. Lady Rolanda and Zaynab are working on a Fantastic
Crest tourney for Rosenfeld in November. Then there is Warlord XXX at the
end of the A.S., we are planning that it will be the largest equestrian
gathering in the Known World, second only to Gulf Wars.

Thank you all for your past and future hard work and support.

In Service to the dream,

Lord Patric and Lady Aimee LongCoeur