[Steppes] Re: Calendar events

Hrldsmn at aol.com Hrldsmn at aol.com
Wed Oct 2 11:18:09 PDT 2002

In a message dated 10/2/02 10:19:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
wjwakefield at juno.com writes:

> One thought on Artisan - instead of having Steppes Artisan and Elfsea
> Artisan and several other Artisans, have a Central Regional Artisan.  Of
> course this would require cooperation with other local groups...  Both
> Steppes Artisan and Elfsea Artisan are body of work competitions, so the
> format would not change.  If this happened, we would need to come up with
> a way of judging - there is some overlap between Steppes and Elfsea
> Artisans, but some differences also.  And there are various items of
> regalia...  If a suitable site could be found, perhaps we could have a
> two day event and have a full schedule of classes as well.  With the
> entire Central Region working on it, we would have a marvelous selection
> of teachers...
>
> On a different note, why not make Twelfth Night a non-calendar event?
> This would eliminate a long tedious court that many people can't hear
> anyway, and might bring the event back to a manageable size.  This could
> conceivably result in a lower-key event that we could enjoy more. And it
> would be less likely to get things added on, like Kingdom Eistedfodd or
> Gulf Wars A&S.

I could see holding Steppes Artisan and Elfsea Artisan at the same
time/event, but keeping the titles and judging separate. I do not believe the
Steppes should loose having the most prestigious Baronial Artisan title in
the kingdom and each group judges on slightly different standards anyway, but
as both competitions are body of work they could be held 'together'.

As to pulling 12th Night off the Calendar I am very against the idea. I am
sorry but for many of us the "long tedious court" is the only reason we
attend. I doubt I would bother if it were just another winter feast/revel.
For me the 'business' is what it is all about. It is, much like Warlord, the
longest running abnd largest indoor court event in the kingdom due to our age
and stature.

Baron Edwin