[Steppes] Re: Calendar events - long

wjwakefield at juno.com wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Oct 2 10:10:54 PDT 2002

Okay, here are my thoughts:

We tried combining Artisan with Twelfth Night one time - it did NOT work
well.  Even at Ennis, I don't think the hall would be large enough for
artisan displays, and we would probably need to eliminate merchanting
altogether if we tried that.  Plus, there would not be enough time to
judge the entries with all the other activities going on.  Artisan at
Warlord would be even worse.  There are already too many activities going
on at Warlord - we need less going on at Warlord, not more.

One thought on Artisan - instead of having Steppes Artisan and Elfsea
Artisan and several other Artisans, have a Central Regional Artisan.  Of
course this would require cooperation with other local groups...  Both
Steppes Artisan and Elfsea Artisan are body of work competitions, so the
format would not change.  If this happened, we would need to come up with
a way of judging - there is some overlap between Steppes and Elfsea
Artisans, but some differences also.  And there are various items of
regalia...  If a suitable site could be found, perhaps we could have a
two day event and have a full schedule of classes as well.  With the
entire Central Region working on it, we would have a marvelous selection
of teachers...

On a different note, why not make Twelfth Night a non-calendar event?
This would eliminate a long tedious court that many people can't hear
anyway, and might bring the event back to a manageable size.  This could
conceivably result in a lower-key event that we could enjoy more. And it
would be less likely to get things added on, like Kingdom Eistedfodd or
Gulf Wars A&S.

Warlord would probably still be well attended even if it were a
non-calendar event.  But the event is longer than Twelfth Night and the
courts can be spread out more to make them shorter.  So I think we should
leave Warlord on the calendar.

Just my 2 cents...
Suzanna, herbalist