[Steppes] Re: Steppes digest, Vol 1 #578 - 14 msgs

CelticCauldron33 at aol.com CelticCauldron33 at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 12:21:55 PDT 2002

Greetings to the list and to all who reign within ,

I do apologize for sending the question that led to further discussion about
the Celtic Heritage Festival and the SCA.  I have been advised to talk with
the President and Vending Coordinator of the CHF in regards to this issue if
there is any further questions.
I am very aware of the live grenades and the misunderstandings of the
"definitions" of the words "Medieval" , "Wicca" , "Norse" , "SCA" , etc.,etc.
The problem I have with this is .... that if we are not there to "inform and
educate" then we are not doing any of the misguided words and/or the
communities any good.
People are afraid of what they don't understand.  It is our responsibility to
make sure that people are educated in truth so that they might "start" to
understand.  That is the reason I brought it up.  I do apologize for the
thread that might have started "another" grenade.  :)

As most of you know , I am not yet a member of the SCA.  I am "planning" on
becoming one.  And hopefully Steppes ... (I am very interested in learning
competition archery).  That is, if I can ever take the time for myself.  lol.
I have been very busy merchanting and working at different SCA events and
other festivals.  It is quite hard doing this and trying to control a house ,
(and ..... taking phone calls in the middle of the night because I am a
grandma now) .... LOL.

There is one other thing I would like to mention.
I was told that I might be "chastisized" if I use the title "Lady Rain Dove".
"Rain Dove" was given to me by one of my teachers.  I love my name and I love
the ones that titled me that name.  I really don't know if I can stop using
it when I am playing in SCA.  The name is extremely important to me ... and
as important as the one that named me that.
As for the word "Lady" , I do understand that this is a "title" in the SCA.
However , I feel that the word "Lady" is a general term for "taken" and/or
"honored" , and/or "Priestess" , etc.  I don't feel that I should quit
signing my name as "Lady" on my emails just because it is deemed a "title" in
the SCA.  The word lady belongs to many women ... and women who are not in
the SCA.
Just because I sign my emails this way ... doesn't mean that anyone in the
SCA has to "acknowledge it" as my title.
Just need feedback on this.  Thanks.

Blessed Be
Lady Rain Dove ^!^ (Suzy Smith)
Executive Director
R.E.L.E.A.F.
Rescuers of Environmental Life , Earth and Animal Foundation
www.releafbenefit.org
Owner / The Celtic Cauldron