[Steppes] Re: Steppes digest, Vol 1 #578 - 14 msgs

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 15 13:19:05 PDT 2002

>>> I am very aware of the live grenades and the misunderstandings
>>> of the "definitions" of the words "Medieval" , "Wicca" ,
>>> "Norse" , "SCA" , etc.,etc.

Actually, this is not it AT ALL.  The Festival has in the past been very
warm and welcoming to the SCA, and in fact they were the ones who were
surprised that the SCA would not be present, from what I have heard.

You will also find that people in the Celtic world generally do not have
the misunderstandings that you seem to blame for this situation.  At least,
in my years, that is what I have found.

You are making assumptions based upon prejudices that are completely
misplaced in this situation.  Before you talk any further, I strongly
suggest you follow the instructions you were given to talk with the people
involved.

>>> I was told that I might be "chastisized" if I use the title
>>> "Lady Rain Dove".

It's the "Lady" that's a problem, not the "Rain Dove."  (Well, the heralds
will laugh at you if you pick a New Agey-undocumentable name like that, but
their peers dress them funny, so just ignore them.)  It's the "Lady" that
is the problem, as it is a badge of honor in the SCA just like "Mistress"
and the other titles.  They are given to people who have EARNED them, and
you cannot simply pick one up in the local titles shop for a tenpenny piece.

>>> I feel that the word "Lady" is a general term for "taken" and/or
>>> "honored" , and/or "Priestess" , etc.  I don't feel that I should
>>> quit signing my name as "Lady" on my emails just because it is
>>> deemed a "title" in the SCA.

Speaking for myself, I don't care.  You have not earned the right to use
the title, so don't go putting on airs around us.  Prove your worth, and we
will give you leave to use the title.  Until then, leave it at home with
the other things that are not appropriate to the SCA, which can include
garb, jewelry, and all sorts of things.  We are creating a world in which
we dwell, and all we ask is that all abide by our rules when dwelling
within.

You may be "Milady" until you are given the right to use the title "Lady",
if you cannot get away from it.  Maybe as you come to know the SCA better,
you will understand how biased some of your views and opinions are, and how
they can colour how people will see and treat you when you come into our
world.

                           ---= Morgan, just plain Morgan