[Steppes] SCA Direction Signs Needed

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 2 08:04:42 PDT 2002

>>> Elfsea had new signs made up at Kinko's . . . . .

My problem with them was the size and visibility.  They are very nice
signs!  But if you don't know what you're looking for, they are small and
down on the ground, therefore easy to drive past (or over).  My experience,
having traveled to a lot of places and sometimes in completely unfamiliar
territory, is that signs have to be (1) bright, (2) large, and (3) simple.
Think someone who is tired, driving a truck to an event, late at night.
Can the sign be seen (1) from someone who is high off the ground, (2) and
bleary-eyed, (3) in the dark?

My recommendation is to use a Light-on-Dark or Dark-on-Light colour scheme
(yellow and green for Steppes, blue and white for Elfsea, yellow and black
for Ansteorra generic) and make them about three feet high.  Reflective
paint, if appropriate, is great for the lettering and arrows!  You really
don't need much more than "SCA" and an arrow pointing in the correct
direction to tell people where to go. [1]   It's nice to have some kind of
insignia, sure, but don't overwhelm the sign with writing that people may
not have the time to read while driving.

And yes, I am willing to put my energy where my words are, and help.

                                     ---= Morgan

[1]  The funniest I have ever seen was when driving a VERY long way down a
road after following the instructions - in the written directions and
confirmed with a sign - to turn.  Just about the time that we were
convinced we had driven past the next turn and had to double back, there
was a sign on the road reading "SCA" with an arrow pointing up.  We decided
that since our vehicle was not capable of levitation, it must mean
"continue on," and we did.

"What we play is life."         ----= Louis Armstrong