[Steppes] Event Changes

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 08:23:07 PDT 2002

Dear Gentles and Nobels of the Steppes,

Lady Francesca has asked others to step into this discussion so I will join
the fray. I am a newcomer to both the Game, and the Barony, so my ignorance
of procedure and tradition will likely be very apparent. I beg your
forgiveness, in advance, for any toes I may step on.

The King and Queen have too many events to go to, that seems to be the
problem, and no one wants to give up their events or schedules. A quandry to
be sure. It does make sense that the Baronies reduce their Crown events, but
why does this mean that they must get rid of, or combine things? Couldn't
some of these things become non-crown events? Warlord does seem to need to
be a Crown event, and Artisan, as well, I suppose, but does Twelfth Night
need to be on the Crown's Calendar?

I have attended three Steppes Business meetings now and at the first, Baron
Fritz brought up the fact that we were being asked to consider hosting
Eistedfodd (please pardon any misspelling). This was met with a lot of
groans and, it seemed to me, ill feeling. Now I hear that the Kingdom would
like 30% of the gate if we do host it at Twelfth Night, albeit this is
allegedly negotiable. Seems to me that this is a Kingdom event only because
the King is requesting it. Now I know that it is not generally considered
polite to say no to royalty, but "NO" seems to be appropriate at this time.
If Twelfth Night is not a Kingdom event, then we have already reduced the
schedule as the Crown has requested. Eistedfodd can be held at one of the
smaller events and may help increase attendance in that case. Perhaps
Glaslyn would like to host it with one of their events. They are fairly
central to the Kingdom and would be a logical choice, as would any of the
shires or cantons in the Central portion of Ansteorra.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something very basic, but why does the Crown
have to be at some of these events, anyway. If it is not Kingdom law,
perhaps they should "Just say No" as well. It seems that this is what will
happen eventually, should we not decide what to say No to first.

The combination of events among some of the smaller divisions of the Kingdom
would seem logical to create larger, better attended events, but then
piggy-backing some of these smaller events with the Baronies' would make
sense too. The loss of autonomy is an understandable concern, but sometimes
choices must be made. If an event is unattended or under attended and a
Canton/Shire is becoming hard-pressed to put on event that is necessary, it
may be necessary to swallow one's pride. If viability as a seperate entity
is a concern, it is better to combine than to become extinct, or have to
worry about extinction.

I would appreciate clarification of anything that I seem to have
misunderstood. I thank you for you patience with this newcomer. I have found
Steppes, and Ansteorra to be a friendly, welcoming group and I am enjoying
myself greatly in my participation. My previous Kingdom would do well to
learn from you all.

Yours, in service,

Linet