[Steppes] Calendar ?

Catherine Sims arianne_steppes at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 10:11:26 PDT 2002

Arabella, you're not the only one who's been lurking.
Having run my initial response through the tact filter a few dozen times, here's what I think are the major issues.  First, the economy is a big factor, especially lately.  Also, going to an event every weekend would, for most of us, preclude any life outside the SCA.  Next, the Crown seems to be unhappy about the number of events on their calendar.  Well, unfortunately, a busy schedule of events, like a huge phone bill, goes with the title.  The most tactful way to put this is that they knew the job was dangerous when they applied for it.  They appear to be unhappy about making difficult choices about which events to attend.  Unfortunately, making difficult and unpleasant choices is part of life, especially now.  In my case, 99.9% of SCA activity has had to come to a halt because of graduate school.  My schedule does not permit me to take the time to play with my SCA friends the way I would like to, but that goes with the graduate school decision.  It's not the most pleasant choice, but it is the one I have made, and therefore I have to cope with it, or make a different choice.  I am certainly sympathetic to the Crown, it is a less than ideal situation, but who among us is in an ideal situation?  I think that the real answer to the Crown problem is that they just have to accept that part and parcel of the job is making sacrifices, such as giving up one event to attend another.  Such is life.
Arianne
 Lisa Duke wrote: Ok I've been lurking.

IMHO it has nothing to do with the number of events, the type of events, or
what is going on at those events.
It is something we have absolutely no control over.

The Economy

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." -- Lily Tomlin