[Steppes] Metallic threads

John de Irwynne lordirwynne at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 04:23:24 PST 2002

A question was posed to me about using metallic
threads in machine sewing for decorative effects.
Coats and Clark makes a polyester metallic thread that
should work in the bobbin of most machines. Its not
very shiny but it will add subtle sparkles. It is
listed as an embroidery/cross stitch thread and comes
on regular sized sewing spools. 34-36 gauge jewelers
wire might work in some of the heavy duty machines.
Again this would be in the bobbin. The one to avoid is
Dritz mettalic thread that comes on a regular thread
spool. Its nice and shiny but I've found that is wads
up even with hand sewing/embroidery.

thank you,
Elspeth