[Steppes] VIVAT the demo crew at NTIF!

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 08:03:28 PST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Greetings everyone!

I want to commend the Demo Coordinator and all of the wonderful volunteers for
doing such a great job at our booth at the North Texas Irish Fest! Due to
Sunday’s sunny skies, there was a much higher turnout of patrons to the
Festival. Our signup sheet boasts 21 potential new members! I hope you had the
chance to come out and visit our colorful and very active booth. Thanks to
Noble and Donna (Brendan and Anne), we had a very nice and large area, in the
cultural section of one of the buildings. We were located next to the Civil
War re-enactors booth. There were two large tables for A&S and weapons
display, brochures, etc., plus a nice backdrop for hanging our tapestries.
When the Civil War group left early on Sunday, one of our artisans took a
project he was working on, a very large woodcut of celtic design, and started
sculpting away with hammer and chisel. As I left, I noticed a crowd gathering
to watch. We also had a VCR setup on Saturday enabling us to show the Gulf
Wars 9 news broadcast. We would have shown it on Sunday, too, when more people
would have seen it, but, alas, it wasn’t available. From what I heard, it
really was a great draw on Saturday.

As a reminder, let’s remember that the Society began as a small group of
friends in Berkeley, California, who had that infamous "backyard party." They
in turn spread their Dream of medieval history, honor, chivalry and courtesy
throughout the world by having information booths such as this, at cultural
heritage festivals, science fiction/fantasy conventions, and renaissance
festivals. Let’s not let opportunities like this pass us by! On the first
weekend of June, we have the opportunity to have booths at two locations –
A-Kon (animé and sci-fi/fantasy convention at Hyatt DFW), and Highland Games
(Scottish cultural festival in Arlington) – both of which draw huge crowds
from all areas of the DFW Metroplex and beyond. In other words, we can double
our number of potential members in ONE WEEKEND! I will be most happy to take
the signup sheets from these booths and forward any non-local entries to the
hospitalers in their areas.

As a final note, something that was brought up during a meeting by our Baron a
few months ago bears repeating. When people ask you what we are all about (at
a fighter practice, leaving a meeting, or in a store) and seem generally
interested in our group, don’t just tell them the website or hand them a
brochure, write down their name and email information. Let them know that the
newcomer liaison will be happy to contact them and give them further details.
Then get the information to me (or whoever the hospitaler is at the time) via
email, a slip of paper, a phone call, whatever, and they will be contacted.

Again, VIVAT to the Demo Coordinator and his wonderful staff of volunteers for
their great job at Irish Fest! Come to Business Meeting this Tuesday evening
to hear the tales of fame and glory! Those of you who were there Sunday,
remember to hold your stories until Business Meeting when they can be heard by
all present!

In Service,

Gabrielle Hée de St. P.