[Steppes] Fighter Practice Location

Drachenhohle@aol.com Drachenhohle at aol.com
Thu Jun 13 10:51:27 PDT 2002

Sir/Don Miguel
Warlord and Knight Marshal

I applaud your intentions and condemn your statements of self failure. Last
year when we where marshaless and none including myself would even seek the
position. You and your deputy stepped up to the plate, and for that you and
Morgan have earned my admiration.
I would like to point out though that if a change is made to accommodate one
individual another is likely to feel slighted. I truly fear that we are
stepping on that road again. I would not presume to speak for any others but
you have asked for answers to certain questions so I will give you my
Simi-informed answers. The Steppes as a whole has a large number of fair
weather friends in a very literal sense. When the temperature is below 50 or
above 90 you simply will not see them at fighter practice SHADE or not. That
means as you have seen that between Nov. and Feb you had your 4 hard core
fighters showing up. It was the same 4 last summer and the previous three
summers at flag pole hill there were 3 to 4 showing up on a regular basis.
You ask:

Here are some questions of my own:

Would anyone be interested in combining some of the other guild meetings and
incorporating Sunday into one big gathering? Obviously some of the guilds
(brewers, cooking, etc.) can't really meet at a park for their activity, but
some of the others could.
   I do not know of any guilds that meet outside on Sunday and certainly not
any that meet outside during the summer. So a move on the off chance we might
catch a guild seems well .......

Would the fighters like to move the practice to Monday night?
   I have never understood a weekend practice considering the fact the most
of the better fighters are on the tourney circuit. I think given the response
a certain private practice (wed. night) has received a change would indeed be
beneficial to the Stepps as a whole. The only problem is will you indeed gain
more fighters or will you deny several of your loyal few access because of
their work schedules.

Would more fighters come if we could get more knights out?
   Again I say fair weather friends or should I say chivalry. I know there
are more knights than Sir Miguel within the Stepps. But you couldn't prove it
by me and the sad fact is i have seen more traveling knights than i have seen
of our own :(

Would more fighters come if their friends, mates, etc. had more people with
which to socialize?
   Sure, I think, I would hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath not with summer
almost here, again I say fair weather friends.

Are the fencers looking to practice on Sunday?
   Haven't a clue, but I doubt it given the fact that they have a climate
controlled area during the week to practice at.

Do the fighters want specific critiques on their fighting (with the
different styles)?
   I would hope they would, but being a student of human nature I realize
that not every person is willing to admit the need for improvement. Much less
be willing to do the work that is necessary to improve. Myself included. I
think I should leave this one alone, other than to say a few more of our
chivalry would be most welcome if they would show on a regular basis.

Do the fighters want to really train or just socialize and swing sticks?
   I don't see them being mutually exclusive, or inclusive for that matter.

In conclusion:

I took the job as knight's marshal to: not just fill a position and provide
a place for fighters to gather; but to attempt to increase the number of
fighters and others at practice; increase the level of fighting in the
Barony; and increase the level of baronial and SCA spirit.

I don't feel like I have done any of these things. I'm the one to blame. I
want to move it now in an attempt to fulfill my original goals. Is moving it
alone going to help? Yes, I think so, but I also need to do more to bring
about the changes. I don't want people to do what they don't want to do.  It
is my impression that many of the people of this barony (fighters and not)
do not want to go to fighter practice at Mary Head Park, but might go if
practice were held elsewhere.

Well, my friend I couldn't disagree with you more. The faithful four went
with the practice when it moved last time. It is my impression however that
several will not follow it back to Flag Pole Hill with it's inferior
amenities. If you have another park with:
   a level area suitable for war practice including combat archery, this
first and foremost
   a bathroom area with a sink to wash the sweat out of our eyes
   an area for children to play
   a location that can be seen by drive by traffic so we actually might get
some new members

If not come summer and the fair weather vocal few have ceased to appear, well
.....enjoy

HL Donald Hambleton