[Steppes] Tor

Ruff, David David.Ruff at valueoptions.com
Mon Jul 1 13:05:32 PDT 2002

Not to ruin anyone's day, but as a restorer of older cars I can tell you
this....

Anything that has had a car fire to the extent that the car can not be
started is generally ALOT of rewire work, not to mention the damage to the
components to the engine. Generally if the fire "ate" the engine compartment
and was allowed to burn to the point were the metal, plastics and such were
burned/melted you can count on ALL wiring for your ignition, lights, ect ect
to be gone.  If your insurance covers it - take the loss and get another
car. If not you are looking at a restore on the whole electrical system,
possible parts replacement like battery, alternator, gasket replacements,
heads inspection with possible overhaul of springs, guides, seals. Possible
block replacement due to high heat stress and possible cracking if they
(firemen used a hose on it) front end seal/suspension replacement due to
high heat destroying the rubber/poly bushings ect ect. The list goes on -
but a very real look at what might need to be replaced.

Ulrich