[Steppes] The need for Event Stewards and/or Ideas

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:26:02 PDT 2002

Howdy all,

During the call for Steppes Warlord XXX T-Shirt designs and the debate that
ensued, a point was missed that I feel should be brought up. It took a while
to come together which is why I am only now presenting it.

During the exchanges of emails for and against the idea of calling for
designs for T-Shirts for Steppes Warlord XXX, the thought was proposed that
it was premature for such a call to go out as we did not have Event Stewards
chosen for the event who might have ideas or a theme for the event and that
any designs created now would not reflect them and would therefor make the
effort wasteful in some way.

My thought is that we have a great potential for Event Stewards among our
new and growing populace but they may not have any ideas themselves for an
event, or may not feel they can organize an event because they have not done
it before. With Steppes Events having become so entrenched in 'how it has
always been done', I can see this sentiment being a deterant to new comers
who want to invest their time and effort into our barony. If instead of
saying we should hold off on creating t-shirt designs, we had instead
exchanged ideas for the event, we could now have more people who have an
idea for the event and they might have gotten excited and more interested in
participating and even becoming the event steward for Fall Court, Steppes
Artisan and Steppes Warlord.

The presentation and exchange of ideas for events should be encouraged. It
can make the events more interesting and involve more of the populace in the
preparation, presentation, and participation of our events. The idea that an
event's theme/activities/etc should be the province of one person, or even a
hand full of individuals, is restrictive an isolationary. Events are for us
all and, as we are one of the oldest and highest profile baronies in
Ansteorra, our efforts as a group will be seen by nearly the entire kingdom.
I am not saying that all ideas will be good or even taken into account for a
given event, but without all of our input, bouncing ideas off each other,
making the events greater that a single person's vision, we will continue to
'do it the way we have always done it'. Stagnation at it's finest.

So, I have heard from one person that they are interested in designing a
t-shirt and even producing the same. I have also heard that there is one bid
in already for Steppes Warlord XXX. I have heard little to nothing in the
way of ideas for this event or for any other event we, The Barony of the
Steppes, will be putting on.

What ideas do you have?

Borek