[Steppes] Event Changes--Why are event numbers down?

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Thu Oct 3 07:12:23 PDT 2002

> However, having
> four events on one weekend certainly dilutes attendance for all of them.
> All of the Baronies, including Steppes, are going to have to make some
> hard choices on this issue.

I understand this argument, but I really do consider it specious at best
(and my apologies to Their Majesties for calling one of their ideas
"specious").  Whether people choose to except it or not, people just do not
travel in this Kingdom.  Unless it is a very large event, that has something
they feel they just can't miss (see paragraph 2).  In essence what you are
trying to do is legislate peoples attendance at events by giving them less
of a choice to choose from.  This is a truly large Kingdom.  I am sorry, but
I am not going to drive 6-8 hours to attend an event on a weekend just
because it is the only event that weekend.  I'll stay home and work on
projects there.

It has been my experience that the reason a particular event may not be
attended is not because there is a plethora of events, but because the event
has nothing to offer outside the same cookie cutter event that happens
everywhere.  Fighting Lists open at 8:00, Court at 9:00, Tournament at
10:00, Lunch break, A&S Display/Competition 1:00, Feast at 6:00, Court at
7:00.
The problem isn't that there are too many events to choose from, the problem
is that some of these events have been exactly the same way for 20+ years
and they are just plain boring.  Sorry if I am goring anyone's sacred yak
here, but jeeze, with the level of talent and imagination we have in this
Kingdom we really need to channel that into our events.  Here is the proof
of my argument:  How many people have you brought to an event for the first
time and instead of being excited and enamored at the end, they think it was
a good time but kind of dragged on?  There was a time that if you got
someone to an event, they were hooked.  We're not doing that anymore, there
is too much out there vying for peoples time and attention to be offering
the same thing we did 20 years ago.  We are competing with million dollar
movies, organic Thai/Lower Slobovian bistros, and Nintendo 64's.  I believe
that if we are to survive in the coming decades we are going to have to go
through our own "Renaissance".

There are Kingdoms that have three large Baronies in one Metropolitan area
and two of those Baronies will have events on the same Saturday.  Both
events will be attended by a couple hundred people.  Some of those people go
to one event in the morning, and drive across town to go to the other in the
afternoon/evening.  Why?  because both have something outstanding to offer,
or something different, or something more fun that standing around watching
two guys stand in a 20x20 square and count how many missed blows there are.

My feeling is that the too many events argument is merely the simple and
"safe" answer to not addressing the fact that our events are not providing
the entertainment and diversion that the populous wants--and they are voting
with *not* using their feet.

Just my opinion, If this is what the Crown wishes--otay, I'll go back to my
corner now and continue drinking  <<grin>>
Petruccio