[Steppes] Event Changes - From a New Point of View

Samatha Cooper darasawall at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 11:33:28 PDT 2002

If it please you, good peers, gentles, artisians, and generally
quite impressive (nay, intimidating) personages, all, I would
like to present my views. I know I myself have met very few of
your exalted selves, but please be assured I speak only with
respect and hope to contribute something.

You see, I find myself something of a rarity. I am new. Not just
around here, but to this group, the SCA, entire. More than a
little surprising, I find a voice that speaks for those such as
I, remarkably recently arrived, stunningly absent from most
meetings. All the more so since so many new members attended the
Hospitaler's meeting specific a few months past. I hope I have
kept my peace long enough to be polite, and to avoid giving
offense to anyone.

I haven't been to a 12th Night - none having passed since my
entry here. My second event (ever) was WARLORD just past. I am
unsure of the details of these calendars, principalities,
combining or not combining, rules and various things well beyond
my ken. However, since Petruccio (forgive me, milord, I have no
idea of your correct title, beyond Most Fabled Feast Master)
mentions the appeal to new people, and Baron Fitz himself has
mentioned the desire for new memberage, I will venture some
small comments there.

He is right - these large events, while I doubt not are a major
source of funding - are quite, ah, overwhelming when you're new.
I don't doubt that the money is a Good Thing. I do doubt that it
should be the Main and Express Purpose of this group - it
doesn't seem a goodly fit for your tastes and what I've heard
about, this elusive Dream. I'm still not sure what that Dream
business is about, but I don't think "making money" is it's main
goal. If I'm suffering the wrong first impression, would someone
please correct (gently!) my novice mistake?

If a principality northward (not sure where this is, save north
of the Steppes) desire some autonomy, why wouldn't it be more
courteous to allow this? There must be some technical matter
that I do not grasp, that makes it more difficult to allow this
than I can see.

And yes, regretfully, I must affirm that Petruccio speaks well
and truly on another point: the schedule and the rigamarole,
despite the pagentry and the heralds is mostly noise, confusion,
and pretty darn boring when one doesn't have a clue what is
going on. I have no doubt these award ceremonials are of value -
to those of you of sufficient familiarity to know what is
happening. Even I was touched by the gesture of each archer
handing arrows over to the person who was obviously a much
revered and honored member during the ceremony. But think what
it would be like attending some sort of ceremony in a foreign
country and language, without any clue (or schedule, or ability
to hear what the Important People up there are saying) what is
happening? Though I did chant out the Vivats with, what I hope,
was sufficient vigor for the honors done.

Though I had incredible hosts whom simply could NOT have been
better, in Household Flaming Vortex, I still found WARLORD of
such measure I would never have joined the group had that been
my first experience. (Though I did get my Equestrian
authorization, which I thought was unquestionably the best
experience the weekend would offer, until I got to hear the
Bardic competition, at least.)

My very first event, however, was the minor Collegium of
jewelry-making and smithing. There might have been 30-40 people
there, but Nuala loaned me garb, and introduced me. I met people
who have become my friends there, and got a good feeling for the
sorts of people present, and what they loved to do. That is what
made me decide that despite the madness of the larger events,
there were activities this group did that I wanted to be a part.

I would not drive 6-8 hours to attend an event on a weekend,
myself. More events, smaller events, and specialized draw events
would be my advice, if you truly do want to attract new members.
I know tradition has a tremendous value to all of you; I know
that someday, when I am better versed and understand these
traditions, I will no doubt hold them as high - what I know now
seems more than worthy of such respect. However, you have
something even more worthy than your traditions, your Court,
your Warlord event with its hundred plus Fighter's List, your
Twelth Night, or even your Steppes Artisans.

You have yourselves, as individuals. As people, you are fine and
good friends, with a generosity, helpfulness, openess... all
right, a nobility that makes it a pleasure to share your
respective company, each and every one of you whom I've had the
good fortune to so become acquainted with. That goes from the
knight who made himself a water bearer when I could not leave my
duty post at one point, to the teenagers who treated me with
such courtesy that I found myself gaping (while trying to treat
them with their due of equal courtesy and respect) at another.