[Steppes] sergers

Ronnie Hodges womrn at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:46:03 PST 2002

>I'm in the market for a surge.  Bernina, Baby lock, what other brands are
>on the market?  Which do you guys like the best?  Anybody have more than
>one to compare?  Prices?  Ease of operation?

I have a Singer 5-spool.  Have seen some good Baby Locks that are in a
reasonable price range.  You'll want to know most about ease of threading;
variability of stitch length and width; whether there is a fabric cutter,
and if there is -- is it removable or at least an exercisable option (the
cutter knife on mine swings up out of the way -- a good thing, especially if
you serge -- and you'll definitely *want* to -- "walking" fabrics like the
velvets.

Speed of stitching, and a variable-speed footpedal, are also things to
consider.  I know WalMart has had a somewhat slow (for those of us with
years of speed sewing), but very useable, model for around $50.  But then, I
don't think anyone who's not been doing it for a bit will want the Concord
speedjet speed.
Ride Well,
Ronnie.