[Steppes] Saree History or garb in general --- Next Collegium

lizdenpeters at juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Wed Apr 16 10:30:37 PDT 2003

Good Gentles,

Currently, we are trying to assemble the next collegium, possibly with a
July date to address some costuming issues.  The focus will be Clothier's
Information.  This collegium will be more advanced than basic stuff
(t-tunics & pants) but not as advanced as high Elizabethan.  The areas
you mention about persona, period and garb appropriate for that persona &
period are something that information is sometimes difficult to locate,
i.e., what type of fabrics would have been used, what type of hats,
shoes, belts, jewelry, etc., etc. as well as the basic clothing worn.
Since the term "clothier" addresses more than basic clothing
(accessories, fabrics, etc.), that is why we are using that term to
assemble the classes for this focused collegium.

Your input as to particular period(s) and area(s) would be appreciated.
Also, if you would be willing to volunteer to do a class related to this,
let me know.  I would appreciate a reply so we can make the classes
offered responsive to your needs.

YIS,
Nuala

P.S. Has anyone else received the new Compleat Anachronist -- Persian
Court Costume And Dance in the Early 16th Century?  If so, what did you
think?

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:16:15 -0500 (CDT) jspinks at ix.netcom.com writes:
> Ok.  I missed the list of urls on my system for some reason. I am
> still interested in the migration of garb from one part of the world
> to another given that there seems to be considerable differences in
> what was worn.   I suspect much had to do with practicality and
> climate-  I doubt a thin material made much sense to someone from
> Medieval Europe in the middle of a geological cooling period.
> Would someone from a different part of the world have continued to
> wear their traditional garb or would they have adapted? and did
> Europeans adopt and adapt garb from other parts of the world?  I
> know that there were individuals captured and sent back to Europe
> during the Crusades and the various wars pending ransom so that may
> have been one source of influence.
>
> Jacques
(SNIP!)