[Steppes] Re: [Steppes]Toryn's Tribe on safari

letebts at earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 22:18:56 PDT 2003

Saree Day was fantastic! I actually bought two outfits, one of each style.

I, too, had a problem finding the so-called "Sari World." Over the course of
an hour, I asked at several Indian grocery stores, a postman, two Indians at
a cleaning establishment (sari's have to be cleaned, I sleuthed), an area
lock smith with a telephone directory, and even picked up a free directory
of Muslim businesses! No Sari World. Whew! Persistence pays off, though.

Thanks to an astute Francesca (via the cell phone) I found "Fabric World"
which turned out to be the right place, even with Toryn Herself (yes, the
capital is on purpose, considering her knowledge and economic clout there)
walking up to the door!

The only problem I had was with the sizing (East Indians are *tiny*, even
when they put in seams that can be let out almost two inches!) until Gerita
put me on to whom to talk to and where to look for the larger sizes. Found
one in a perfect size, sage green.

Each ensemble is exquisitely coordinated in the same or monochromatic
colors--from skirts/pants, to tops/vests/tunics, and scarves, to the
necessary dozen or so bracelets (very breakable, fit smaller hands than the
one of this long-time letterer's muscles), and identical-color, delicate,
worked necklaces sold with matching earrings. The shoes are slightly heeled
and lots of straps/open work unless the turned-up toe ones are selected
which are embroidered, pierced-and-backed hard leather. Toryn said thong
styles were acceptable. Pricing was all twenty-five percent off, with an
additional further discount since we were "Toryn's Tribe."  ;-)

There's even a department, which I didn't even get around to, which sells
fabric by the yard, or it looked so from a distance. Yum!

My tho'ts? Those elegant, East Indian ladies' closets must be eNORmous!  ;-)

The whole afternoon was delightful and very informative. The sales ladies
were wonderful teachers on how to fold and drape. They even made me look
thinner with all the folding! Go there. It's worth the effort.

Look for the North side sign that says in huge letters "Fabric World" and
scaffolding that has luggage displayed almost as high as the building. I
passed it (going west from Dallas), made the next exit and circled around to
catch the north side service road to go west again.

Thanks a thousand times to Toryn!

Lete

on 4/13/03 6:29 AM, ORDERS_DONITA_L at Lilly.com at ORDERS_DONITA_L at Lilly.com