[Steppes] Once upon a time.............A myth revisited

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Apr 22 08:02:57 PDT 2003

Lord Padric,

> You honor me in such a fashion that I am humbled by your words of praise.
> But I am already a humble person, and would like to adjust a few things
that
> are a little bardicly enhanced I am afraid.

Stories are *supposed* to be told in a bardic style.

> See that is just the romantic version, I was actually ....

It's not "just" the romantic version.  It's the ROMANTIC version -- the
Ansteorran version.  What you told was just the literal version.

> the king recounted the day's event (with much embellishments)

Good for him -- that's his job.

Guys wear dresses in a cow pasture and hit each other with sticks.  Or we
shoot archery in the twenty-first century wearing leather and lace.  Romance
is our tool to make these silly things grand, glorious and honorable.
We're Ansteorrans -- we're *supposed* to be larger than life.

You find yourself standing in the middle of a great tale of honor, devotion,
and glory.  Why are you trying to return to the prosaic world?

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
    Maxwell Scott, *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*: