[Steppes] Once upon a time.............A myth revisited

ATS - Patrick Bureau txrocco at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 22 07:16:26 PDT 2003

Lady Catalina,

You honor me in such a fashion that I am humbled by your words of praise.
But I am already a humble person, and would like to adjust a few things that
are a little bardicly enhanced I am afraid.

"Once upon a time there was a lowly horsegroom in the Steppes names Padric
de Longcouer. He was very diligent in his work every day. He made sure the
noble steeds of the Barony's forces were in good health, well fed and
safe.Every day he walked the practice fields to make sure all the equipment
was in good shape. The fields were kept safe for every horse and rider. One
day"

So far so good, I like that part...

"as he was attending to his duties on the training fields, the King himself
came riding on his charger. Accompanied only by a single Knight, he came
riding out to enjoy the warm May weather. The serfs mowing the grasses of
the fields bowed their heads at the sight of His Majesty. But wait! Padric
saw some hunters with bows and arrows flying through the nearby trees. His
Majesty, deep in thought on matters of State rode on. Boldly padric threw
himself into the path of the charger. "Wait your Majesty," he cried, "beware
the arrows just past yon trees!". His Majesty, the King reined in his horse
and thanked Padric for his timely warning. Then he and his good knight rose
back towards the castle. "

See that is just the romantic version, I was actually setting up the field
of combat for the equestrian, when the Kingdom marshal with his hose penny,
and a rider unknown to me came unto the field.. as I had drawn the safety
lines that separated the equestrian from the archery field.... the unknown
rider (he was not wearing a crown on his head at the time (you know those
things tend to falls off ones head while ridding but I digress)) moved the
hose, and The knight marshal still standing next to him did not realize they
both had stepped over the safety lines I had just placed down...

"HALT!" was screamed at the top of my lungs, as the rider and the marshal
were a good 100 yards away... The Steed was the first to halt (yes Penny
understands Halt), then the ride and marshal both stared down at me
downfield.... "me Lords, pray pay attention to thy line, it is there for
your safety, please remain to the right of it, or I shall be forced to
request you leave my field." orders were thundered....  and horse, rider and
marshal moved inside the field afar from the bordering lines... and the
day's event occurred with no other issues...

"back towards the castle. Sometime later, Padric received a summons. "Will
Padric de Longcouer present himself to his Majesty's Court.", the summons
read. Padric was sore afraid. Was he to be reprimanded because he had spoken
familiarly to his Majesty?  He made his way to court. The King looked down
on the kneeling man. "Many have I favoured here who did service for
Ansteorra, but none have done greater service than to preserve the life of
their King." he said "Therefore, I say unto thee arise Lord Padric and greet
thy Peers." And so was Lord Padric given his award of Arms."

Actually My Baroness summoned me by the ways of her lady in waiting that she
wanted me in court to thank me for my efforts. Later at court... after I had
been called by my Baroness for a thank you of my services during the event,
I was just about to leave the dais, when the King recognized me from the
morning.....He then kicked his foot pillow at my feet, and said " take a
knee", only then I recognized the fellow from the morning, embarrassed, now
kneeling in front of all to see... blushing furiously, the king recounted
the day's event (with much embellishments) and bestowed on me an Award of
arms for protecting the kings life.

"Let his example be a guide to all who see and speak with him."

Hummm, most people have no clue whom I am,  but ya can find me usually
around the horses, I'd be the lackey my sister "Aimee LongCoeur" will be
ordering around....

Morale of the story : no matter that you are new or a peasant in this
kingdom, and what rank the other person, if you are right,  ya can even boss
around a king !

Patric LongCoeur
Steppes Cavalry

=>----Original Message Follows----
[...]
=>thy Peers." And so was Lord Padric given his award of Arms. Let
=>his example
=>be a guide to all who see and speak with him.
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>_________________________________________________________________
=>The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*
=>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
=>
=>Steppes mailing list
=>Steppes at ansteorra.org
=>
=>
=>Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
=>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
--
[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]