[Steppes] Saris

Gerita hpockets at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 08:02:54 PDT 2003

Salve, Steppes
Ah, my Lady Linet, therein lies the rub for more ladies than you!  Some few
of the Ladies of The Steppes are still deciding 'who and where and when'
they be, and are most happy for the opportunity to try out the idea of an
Indian persona.  It would delight my heart (foodie that i am) to see them
also trying out the cuisine of that exotic place, and mayhap even the
speech. Though that would be a lot to expect for a weekend's play.  In my
particular case, it is well documented that Venice had much inter - um -
trade with those of the Eastern world.  Gifts of fabric were bestowed by at
least the Ottomans unto people of Venice.  While it is a bit of a push for a
Venetian, therefore, to adopt the garb of the East,  the lovely and
exotically woven fabrics are well known to the late 15th Century persona.
(One of the many reasons Gerita is sticking to Salwar Chameez).  Another
portion of our populace may have a nominal persona, but is much interested
in garb as a historical or sociological question, and therefore delight
themselves in being able to wear the garb of many places and times.
Unorthodox, to be sure, but certainly within the compass of "The Dream".
Whether a 12th Century English/Welch maiden would have access to such things
is utterly beyond the knowledge of this Venetian, however.  What say the
rest of you?

ever in service,
Gerita del Mare