[Steppes] Plea for the SCA

Gerita hpockets at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 09:32:02 PDT 2003

I would urge anyone about to reproduce any correspondence or documents to
ask permission of the author. It does not take much time, and will avoid
problems. Alys

This has become a huge hairy issue in many places this year.  So much so
that i and several others of my acquaintance request permission to use every
word, image, drawing, etc we did not do in its entirety all by ourselves.
Yes, it's a headache and it slows down the process of 'finishing' the
document or whatever, but not doing it can become incredibly unpleasant down
the line when the originator finds out "YOU" stole their work!!  This is the
file i alluded to in the conversation about the SteppesLetter.  I guess i'm
weird.  If i give electronic permission for my work to be used in X
document, then i consider my word my bond and don't ever go back on it.  But
woe betide s/he who then quotes my work from X without my knowledge!  I
assume (i know, i know, assuming's not the best way to go) that others work
the same way, and so far, i've been fairly well borne out in that. It's a
sort of watchword that far too many people are ignoring.

Gerita, who has had work stolen and is Not Very Nice about it.