[Steppes] Old Virus Trick resurfaces

Greylond Aston greylondaston at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 16:01:00 PDT 2003

On a couple of my email accounts I'm getting a very,
very old trick email. It claims to be from "security"
AT Microsoft. Here is the text;

Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch
now!
There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
More than 500.000 already infected!

And has an attachment labeled "Patch.exe". Of course
it is a virus/trojan named W32.Dumaru.

This is making the rounds yet again and before anyone
falls victim to this Please, Please DO NOT do anything
with this file. Delete this email as soon as you see
it.

Trust me, Micro$oft DOES NOT operate like this. They
will not email anyone at random and Bill nor anyone
who works for him will call you "Friend" in an email.

If anyone does happen to get infected with it please
ask me(or any of the other SCA Computer Geeks) and
I'll be glad to help you get the right software fix
for your computer.

YIS

Greylond