[Steppes] thank you

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 13:41:28 PDT 2003

Good Gentles of the Steppes,

It is a year since this wayward foreigner found her way to these sun-baked
lands. I had wandered far from the Kingdom of An Tir where the rains fall
like draperies in the winter and the sun kisses the lands with warmth in the
summer, rather than bake it 'til there is no moisture to be had except in
the air which can hang so heavy it is hard to breathe. It was hard to leave
my homeland of 17 years, but I should not have worried, for I have found a
new home where I have felt much-welcomed and blessed by its hospitality.

The first ‘event’ I went to for Steppes was last year’s August Business
Meeting. There I was warmly greeted and to my shock and delight, received a
welcoming embrace from Baron Fritz. In An Tir, where I had played but for a
few months, I had never met a Baron, and the Seneschal of the Shire where I
played, hardly spoke to me. There were so many friendly faces that night, I
could not remember most of the names, but I do remember speaking with Lord
Iames that night, and Honorable Lady Katya.

My first big event was Steppes Artisan, and there I was invited to share a
table with Lord John and Lady Elspeth. As I recall we had a wonderful time
and got into a bit of mischief. That was the first of Master Petrucchio’s
fabled feasts that I have partaken of. I was impressed by the exotic foods
and the work that went into it. (and the AMOUNT of food) I can eat as hearty
as many knights and I could not eat all that was put before me.)

In the months since then, I have grown to accept the Steppes as my home and
am proud to be a citizen thereof. Its populace has become my family for
which I have been extremely grateful. Though I have missed my old friends
from the Northwest...I have never been lonely. I thank you all for your
kindness and your accepting me into your family. I look forward to serving
Steppes for many years to come.

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Lady Linet Grey