[Steppes] More Newbie Questions

Lady Sunnifa sunnifa at housewhiteshark.org
Thu Aug 14 23:44:43 PDT 2003

Footwear is a tough one. Because it was largely made of leather, it
doesn't survive well outside of bogs, tundra, or other conditions where
cloth or bodies are also preserved. I would conjecture that the majority
of evidence is pictorial. That said, what you have is what I would
consider an attempt, which is about as close as most get in the shoe
department. :) An attempt is all that is required, so you are fine on your
boots. Like the other respondent mentioned, as you develop your choice of
culture and time period, you can start to examine what plausible footwear
may have existed from what evidence can be found and perhaps then change
your boots, but until then, wear them in good health. :)

I have fleece-lined suede shoes that look Viking-Age-ish save for the
rubber sole (except I can't wear them in summer!). Many also use
thin-soled cotton, satin, or velvet 'mary-jane' style shoes that come
close to approximating a wide era of style. I've checked into custom made
period shoes, and one can spend quite a pretty penny if one does not make
them oneself.

If anyone in the area has the knowledge to teach a class on turn-shoes or
some other basic style along with what leathers are good for shoes, etc, I
for one would be very interested.

Sunnifa