[Steppes] sleeve question

Donita L Orders ORDERS_DONITA_L at Lilly.com
Fri Dec 26 06:12:31 PST 2003

Thank you all so much!!!  So let's see if I am digesting the informations
correctly.....She should sew buttonholes to lace cord or bumpy ribbon in
three places around the armhole....top of chest, top of shoulder, and top
of back.  She then should make matching buttonholes in the sleeve to
attach the sleeve in the three places with the cord.  The sleeve should
attach to itself in a similar way in enough places to keep it on my arm
and let the chemise poouf through.  It this right?  Could it be that
simple?
Thank you to all who suffered my simple question!  And thank you for the
super quick response...now, off to the market for the after yule sales!
My servant is forever in your debt, if you see her at 12th night, make her
go fetch you a beverage...she loves that.
Toryn

Karen Calhoun <kmcalhou at garlandisd.net>
Sent by: steppes-bounces at ansteorra.org
12/25/2003 12:35 PM
Please respond to "Barony of Steppes - SCA, Inc."

        To:     steppes at ansteorra.org
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [Steppes] sleeve question

I believe that my method is the same as M. Rhoana's (sp?) below.

I put loops on the sleeves about 2in. apart and ribbons on the dress also
2in. apart.  I use only 3 lacings per sleeve.  I've seen evidence of more
and less.  I like 3 because it allows for nice puffing of the chemise and
ease of movement.

The loops are sewn into the seam so that they will hold.  However, I have
been known to add them after the fact.  The lacings are about 1 - 1 1/2
yards long doubled over and sewn into the arm/shoulder of the bodice.  I
put those metal "doo-dahs" on the ends to finish it.  (I can't think of
the name at the moment...)

Happy sewing!

Katya

>>> womrn at hotmail.com 12/25/03 11:45 AM >>>
>My servant is working on my 12th night dress and she has a question on
>finishing the sleeves.  The dress is in the Itialian style with the
sleeves
>that are supposed to tie (?) on.  There is her question.  How does she
get
>them to stay on?  I really don't like the look of grommets all over the
>sleeves, but how else does she do it?  Does she use string or ribbon or
>what to tie them?  She has done  nothing yet.  The sleeves are in a
>lambchop shape and need to attach to themselves to form the arm hole of
the
>sleeve and attach to the top of shoulder part of the bodice as well.  She

>has worked really hard on this dress and she REALLY doesn't want to screw

>up the finishing.   Please remember that my servant is a self taught
>seamstress and doesn't speak "sew".  She can sit for hours and do hand
work
>if that is what is required.  Poor thing, I might give her a couple of
>hours off tomorrow with the Holiday and all.

In my experience, small loops of cording, or whatever the tying material
is,
can be sewn into the seams around the armholes of the bodice.  The same
tying material is sewn at its half-way point into the seams of the
sleeve/s
to make two lacings.  Both the loops and the lacings will have to be
*carefully placed* to make the "match" for the lacings to go through the
loops for tying the sleeves to the bodice on the finished garment.

Hope this is works for you!
Ride Well,
Ronnie.