[Steppes] Re: Weather at Steppes

portofun portofun at ticnet.com
Wed Jun 4 15:14:00 PDT 2003

Unfortunately, security problems at that site increase every year. Every
year we get mundanes cruising the site.  Sometimes they are polite and
sometimes they are not.  During one Rosenfeld event at Canton, a large group
of motorcyclists cruised the camps - several times.  They were just
interested, but the roar of 25 Harleys does somewhat to ruin a period
atmosphere.  Last year (or year before last), a mundane drove through camp
throwing water balloons at us.  This time, on  Thursday, a mundane,
supposedly an employee of First Monday, was poking around site trying to
drum up business by getting paid to set up people's tents.  Later he and a
friend, both of which were drunk, drove sporadically throughout the camp,
revving their truck engine, and eventually ran into one of the fences.    I
don't think it will be long before some drunk yokel ends up running over one
of us at night.  Belligerent drunks we can deal with, belligerent drunks in
2000 lb trucks, or with guns, we cannot.  The locals see how many people we
get every year.  Troll gate would be easier and more lucrative to rob than a
7-11.

Conal, R.