[Steppes] New site for Warlord

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Wed Jun 4 23:37:27 PDT 2003

I agree with Serena other comments about Warlord.  Warlord is a special
event, it's a local event, that has the aspects of a Kingdom event and
it borders on many of the aspects of some of the smaller wars.  Artisan
and 12th Night fall into the same type of category.  They are not just
ours, they belong to the Kingdom and to the Known World as well.  Our
sites must be handicap accessible, we need room for all the various
activities that we put on, we need an air conditioned area (with its
cleaner air) for our members with asthma and other breathing problems,
we need access to electricity for at least a few people, we need to be
close to a good sized town, for motels, stores, and the ability to call
on their resources(police,ambulance, fire) in case of an emergency.  It
was the Canton Police that gave us the heads up on the weather Warlord
night.  Can one still find those 'special moments'?  Yes, it happens at
other events, even those like a certain major War, were there is an
Interstate highway along one side. (Banshee Ridge got its name from the
squeal of the big rig's air brakes.  Much of what goes into those
special moments is our own mental attitude, we are all too busy at
Warlord to relax and allow the modern world to slip away.  Go to smaller
events, were you have few responsibilities, get into the feel of the
event, play persona and the mundanity of the site will slip away.  I
once had a 'special moment', in a student union building at UNT.  I may
sometimes gripe about the monster that Warlord has become, I may long
for the days of events with less than 100 people, but in the end, I am
proud to a member of a Barony, that can put on events like Warlord,
Artisan and 12th Night, year in and year out.  We get to welcome the
Known World to our hospitality, our artisans, our workers. What a honor
that is!

Cairenn