[Steppes] Newbie Lessons

lizdenpeters at juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Mon Sep 15 23:39:13 PDT 2003

Dear Stosh Gypsy,

Don't worry about being thought an idiot.  I have been doing this for
nearly five years now and somehow always manage to do it.  I finally told
one of my friends (Sometimes I think they hang around with me just to see
what I'll do next.) that it was not a faux pas, it was a lifestyle.
However, most SCAers are pretty understanding about new people not being
au fait with all the courtesies, etc.  If you bow to anyone with a
coronet and address everyone else as "m'lord" or "m'lady," you should get
by OK.  I still have trouble differentiating between the various titles.
Barons & Baronesses are "your excellency" and kings and queens are "your
majesty" but I always get the rest totally confused.  If you behave
politely, you will be OK.  Don't worry about it too much and have a good
time.

BTW, I found a lot of information about what to wear by going up to
people, complimenting them on what they were wearing and then asking
(probably imbecilic) questions about it.  Everyone, without exception,
was very gracious and willing to help.

Nuala, the generally confused.