[Steppes] Newbie Lessons

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 05:19:03 PDT 2003

Stosh,

The best way to learn is by doing. You've been to a meeting or two by now
and may recognize a face or two. Approach one of those familiar faces and
tag along with them at an event, if possible. I played in An Tir for a
couple of months before moving here to Ansteorra. I was fortunate in
starting to play at the time of year when An Tir holds its College of Ithra
and took a class called 'Chivalry and Etiquette' from a wonderful man named
Sir Brand Deux Lyons. That helped, but it was a lot of information in a
short time. Most of it was stuff that can be gleaned from reading the
newcomers pages and getting started pages at the SCA site (www.sca.org)
Ansteorrans are not nearly as anal about things as some other Kingdoms,
though you can find individuals anywhere that take the game very seriously.

The use of milord and milady will get you by. I have found that if i am not
sure of what title to use for someone, if I ask them they will be very happy
to let you know. Generally something like "Excuse me, milord, but I am new
and would appreciate knowing the proper way to address you." will get you a
smile and a gladly given sharing of information. Your timing for doing this
is important, however. Don't do this while he is in deep conversation with
someone, especially if that someone is wearing a 'hat' especially one with
'points and pearls' The most important people to know how to address are the
Baron and Baroness of Steppes (Their Exellencies), The Crown Prince and
Princess, which we have from the time of Crown Tournament to Coronation
twice a year (Their Highnesses), and of course, the King and Queen of
Ansteorra (Their Majesties).

You will find that even the King and Queen are usually approachable for us
'commoners' if your timing is right. I walked right up to King Michael
Patrick and Queen Julia once and told them how much I was enjoying
Ansteorra, having lived here less than 6 months at that time. They were most
gracious. All it took was a little curtsey and the use of 'your Majesties'.
They are lovely people, as are  Their Exellencies Miguel and Conal. I have
not met the current King and Queen, Their Majesties Ulstead and Cateau, but
I'm sure that they are very nice, too.

If you happen to make a mistake, you will be politely and gently corrected
by most people. Contact our Hospitaler, Lady Claire, and she will be happy
to find someone for you to tag along with.

Welcome to our world and have fun while learning and don't stress over it.

Lady Linet Grey