[Steppes] Wood?

David Ruff dmruff1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 16:34:59 PST 2003

:)

Thank you for the advice, will heed it well. Got to
carve out my first wood project today. Had a ball. :)

Ulrich

--- "letebts at earthlink.net" <letebts at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Years ago, in another life, I renewed an
> acquaintance with a New Mexico
> friend who had returned to being a policeman "for
> his health." Said the
> ebony he was working on (custom carved mundane
> furniture) was of the
> untreated kind and had gotten into his lungs and
> implanted a fungus (?)
> there that would take his life within six months if
> he didn't quit working
> woods.
>
> He was a talented carver to the point that one
> commission was new furniture
> for the NM Governor's mansion. Sad to lose that kind
> of talent to bad wood.
>
> Moral to the story: protect yourself every way you
> can if working with
> woods, especially exotic ones. I'd like to keep all
> SCA carvers healthy!
>
> YIS,
> Lete Bithespring
> on 2/22/03 11:42 AM, Vicki Marsh at
> XaraXene at attbi.com wrote:
> >
> > Isn't purpleheart the one that you have to be very
> careful of?  I seem to
> > remember that the sawdust can be toxic and the you
> have to use specials
> > techniques to deal with it, such as a surgical
> mask and a sawdust collector
> > on your tools (a vacuum of some sort).  A long
> time ago, I had a discussion
> > with Master Iolo about working with some of these
> woods.
> >
> > Just want you to be careful - check with the
> experts on the handling of
> > these.
> >
> > Xene

=====
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci