[Steppes] First Aid Kit ingredients

Gerita hpockets at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 09:53:42 PST 2003

Dear Lete,
A first aid kit for your own use should contain items you yourself are
capable of using, not the stuff some of us pack (wink), so think easy to
use, safe, and appropriate to the type of problem you may encounter.  If the
truck is used only in town, you don't need nearly as much stuff as if you
take it out mud-running or hunting for a week.
For your truck, some ideas:
Flares or similar warning devices
Bandaids
A non-alchohol, non-peroxide wound cleaner (J&J has one)
Cotton balls
first aid cream, if you use it.
Ace wraps in whatever sizes you feel comfortable with.
Small amount of high-energy snacks
water
A warming blanket (or a real one)
Gauze squares in various sizes, including the big thick one (probably only
one of those)
How to describe this stuff?  I use Vetwrap, but i know there is a human
version.  It's a stretchy, may be 3" wide, stuff that sticks to itself.
It's great for a wrap or two over a dressing on a sweaty limb - i love the
hot pink, personally!
CPR barrier
vinyl or the new purple gloves.
Unless you're going hunting, i wouldn't bother with 'drugs' and the like.
They'll only go bad in the box from heat exposure.

At home,
bandaids
gauze squares
tweezers
tape or the above wrap
first aid cream if you use it.
small burn dressings.  Anything more than a small red mark should see the
doc anyway.  Cold water works just as well, as long as there are no
blisters.
gloves as above
CPR barrier as above
You really don't need a huge kit at home with Rescue so close by.  Just
enough to deal with the small accidents we live with, and bleeding or
breathing problems til Rescue arrives.

You really don't want to know what i have in my kits!  And my dream kit is
even worse.

grinning,
Gerita