[Steppes] First Warlord

letebts@earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 11:20:08 PDT 2003

Disclaimer as to rating:  This post may be embarassing to some, so just move
to the next post at this point. (giggles)

One of the best "conveniences" I have learned to bring (God bless our Baron
and Baroness, Fritz for sharing this very pragmatic idea with me!) was a
personal, and cheap potty! It stood me in good stead one "dark and rainy
night...." and helped me to avoid a trip in the rain to the Bathhouse or the
portapotties.

You will need from Home Depot (or the like) a 5 gal. paint bucket and its
lid, a box of garbage sacks that fit it and the twist ties, and kitty
litter, and your favorite toilet paper.

Fritz said to put in a garbage sack with a scoop of litter (to avoid spills
if it somehow gets tumped over) and to twist-tie it shut. Continue this in
layers. Then pop the lid back on it.

When you need to "go" just take off the lid, untwist the tie, spread the
edges over the rim of the paint bucket and "do your thing." In the morning,
you can take the used garbage bags to the big disposal barrel.

I would also suggest a whisk broom and dust pan to tidy up the tent floor
from time to time. I use a garage sale, washable cotton rug inside and
another garage sale "Persian" rug just outside the door.

One of the camping books I bought suggested that a tarp just smaller than
the tent be placed under the tent to shield the interior from "ground damp."
If larger than the floor of the tent, the tarp could catch rainwater and
pool it under your tent.

About keeping the interior of the tent dry, get some sealant from, say,
Target, and seal all the seams around the base of the inside and about a
foot up the vertical seams. A second point, if it is raining, move anything
that touches the walls of the tent out of contact so that rain won't wick
into your tent at that point.

The other advice you are receiving is perfect. *Very* helpful. You have lots
of friends you just haven't met yet. Help is yours for the asking you need
it into this adventure.

About four years aga, I was where you are now. I had never camped in a tent
before and I was 60 years old!  Trust me. It's an adventure the motel people
will never have great tales to tell about at the campfires.  ;-)
You'll have a great time!!!

Lete