[Steppes] Re: Weather at Steppes

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Mon Jun 2 16:12:00 PDT 2003

We got out of Burnett, at least a couple of times, a Couple of hours
before most of the site went under water.  I am sure the flooding
patterns have changed and probably it also floods worse than it used
to.  A lot of development in that area.  Canton is in a slightly wetter
part of the state and it may somehow be in a 'rain shadow' caused by the
Metroplex.  I have lived in the same house my entire life and our
weather patterns have changed.  In the 1950's, our area got a lot of
heavy storms, large hail and in '56 a tornado within a half mile,
sometime in the '60's, this began to change and now the storms hit a
couple of miles north or south or west.  I can be driving through a
driving rain, until I close to home and the rain will let up.  Rupert
used to not believe it, but after living here for a number of years,
even he believes it.  It may be that Canton has the opposite problem.  I
looked at the state parks web site and there doesn't seem to be any
possible sites there, I haven't heard back from my e-mail, yet.  A lot
of weather goes north of the Metroplex, we will probably need to get
southwest of the area, to avoid some of the rain.  Is there anything
down around the Cleburne/Glen Rose area, that's not on the riverbanks?

Cairenn