[Steppes] Re: Weather at Steppes

Aaron Robb philo_net at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 21:12:03 PDT 2003

Just a note, there is a step between the port-a-johns and a permanent
building. If any of you attended Taste of Addison or any of the more
"upscale" kind of community events you've probablly seen the bathroom
trailers that are basicly a portable bathroom (6-10 stalls plus sinks
depending on type).

Depending on resources, setting up showers is not really all that
difficult - at Pensic last year I had continuous hot running water in
my camp due to a tank of propane and a pipe heating element (I'm sure
I'm using the wrong phrase here, I don't recall the technical name,
but the device heated the water as it went through, rather than
having a tank of heated water). I'm told it's not as enery efficient
as a tank model, but I was willing to pay a little more for hot
showers 24/7. I've seen "shower trucks" using this technology,
although they're a lot fewer and far between than the truck full of
stalls.

Both of these options would require minimal on-site water hookups and
go better with power...

Philo

--- Hrldsmn at aol.com wrote:
> --
> In a message dated 6/2/2003 7:08:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
> wjwakefield at juno.com writes:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, how much land do we need to hold a Warlord
> sized
> > event?  And how primitive will we put up with?
> >
> > Would we carry water from a well?  Can we do without electricity?
>  What
> > about nettles, burrs, fire ants, etc?  Wild animals?  All things
> we don't
> > have to worry about at Canton...
> >

> I admit that I would certainly prefer a site with a bit fewer
> visible
> mundanity and less non-SCA traffic. However, I for one would not be
> willing to put up
> with no running water and no flush toilets. I have simply been
> playing this
> game too long and now feel old enough that the physical necessities
> of comfort
> are really important. High grass, burrs, and a bad ant, chigger, or
> tick
> problem would also rule out sites to my mind. Warlord is too large
> and draws too
> many people to try and make it work at a primitive site over a
> three-day weekend
> in hot weather.
>
> Edwin

=====
---
Aaron D. Robb, M.Ed., NCC, LPC

"Well, I guess you could call me a lucky man," Confucius says wryly to his students. "Whenever I make a mistake, there's always somebody to point it out to me."   - T. R. Reid _Confucius lives next door_