[Steppes] Challenge

Zach Zach hellbilly_tx at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 07:25:22 PDT 2003

Diane Rudin wrote

 “Yes to your first comment, no to the second.  Bacchides was leading an army for the king of Syria, as described in I Maccabees 7 & 9.  I Maccabees 8 describes the alliance Judas Maccabeus formed with the Romans.

It should be a Syrian shield, whatever that was.”

I read the same passage plus a few sources online and got the impression that the Syrians where not at the battle of Elasa but rather on the way to it.  Maccabee was defeated prior to the Syrians getting there.  Where did you read that it was a Syrian army?

I love a nice debate, I just wish I had better knowledge of the topic.

Nick Vatavia