[Steppes] FYI - Color copies

Hanson, Bryan Bryan.Hanson at mbna.com
Wed Oct 29 08:54:54 PST 2003

Lete Wrote:

>Does anyone know the actual law giving permission for student use of
>copyrighted materials? There are some other laws granting permission for
>other uses, as well, if I am not wrong.

The following excerpt is from http://www.copyright.gov/title17/.

--------------------------------------

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a
copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or
phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes
such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple
copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement
of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any
particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair
use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

I think this is what you are looking for.

Bryan