[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 08-29-04

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Aug 30 16:07:00 PDT 2004

Heilsa,

Please Attend to these words of Importance!

Duncan became the latest authorized heavy fighter to join the ranks in
the defense of the borders and increase the ranks of fighters that will
answer the call to arms.

Nicole was authorized as a Field Marshal, thus increasing the ranks of
those that ensure the fighters are having FUN and remaining safe!

The weather was excellent for fighting - it was warm, lower 90's with a
slight north winds, which at times were brisk. Again an outstanding
August day to be outside and at fighter practice.

In attendance at this practice, the following:

Sir Mahdi, Baron of the Steppes,
Hosey and his children - Tori, Jon, and Nikko.
Kim,
Chiara - captain of the Steppes Baronial Guard, with her daughter,
Roc the Bold and his Lady Icia, Roc is also an excellent make of armor.
Curtis or Hrafn, - Steppes Knight Marshal,
Traci, proud owner of El Morro,
Fritz, Catrin and their children,
Clayton,
Matt and his Lady Nicole,
Isolda Vogelsang with her men-at-arms - Aria and his brother Donyell,
Robert - a transplant from Mid Realm,
Josh,
Duncan and his Lady Kitty,
Linda and her son, Levi.
Corwin - came out to watch on the sidelines,
Seamus - who also went to Pennsic.
Dux and Cathy, watching from the sidelines while Dux worked on rattan,
Matt (2nd), - I believe this is name that I heard from Aria.
Larry - who used to fight and got back into armor this day,
Michael Fray - Deputy Steppes KM, doing admin duties on the sidelines,

Those in armor and fighting:

Sir Mahdi, Hosey, Roc, Hrafn, Seamus, Matt, Josh, Isolda, Aria, Donyell,
Duncan, Larry, Matt (2nd one), Fritz, and Robert.

For a total of 15 heavy fighters in armor, representing a wide range of
skills and abilities.

Total attendance at this practice: 34 good gentles.

Happenings:

Various individual fights started the day as usually and continue most
of the practice. The fights that I recall - either happen at the
beginning of the practice or toward the end of the practice:

Using Sword and Shield:
Sir Mahdi vs Hosey,
Sir Mahdi vs Roc,
Sir Mahdi vs Matt,
Sir Mahdi vs Josh,
Sir Mahdi vs Larry,
Sir Mahdi vs Seamus,
Isolda vs Aria,
Isolda vs Donyell,
Isolda vs Robert,
Robert vs Aria,
Robert vs Donyell,
Matt (2nd) vs Aria,
Matt (2nd) vs Donyell,
Isolda vs Matt (2nd)
Roc vs Matt,

I know that Fritz got into armor and I do not recall who he fought.

Josh vs Matt - Matt sword and shield vs Josh with two swords,

Hosey providing instruction with Isolda and Donyell (using armor to ID):
Scenario - Isolda had been legged, meaning she is on her knees and
Donyell attempting to "finished" her off and not having good success.

Roc vs Josh - Roc wielding two handed sword vs Josh with two swords.
Interesting weapon mix and fight.

Small unit tactics without combat archery using spears happen toward the
end of practice.

Additional instruction provided in the used of spears.

Hosey providing instruction in conditioning.

Sir Mahdi providing instruction in the used of sword and shield.

Clayton, who did not fight but stopped by and picked up his gorget that
Roc
had made for him.

Chiara picked up a 104 inch fiberglass round tube to be made into a
9-foot spear after building it up to met the specifications for such.

Seamus also picked up 2 104 inch fiberglass round tubes to be made into
2 9-foot spears after building them up to met the specifications for
such.

The pavilion was set-up and was made used of.

Gothic Wars XIV - September 3rd through 6th, 2004:
War meeting for Gothic Wars - tactics discussed for next weekend.

Additional planning concerning leave times and who was carrying what out
to Gothic Wars.

If I missed someone and/or a fight, and you wish to give word fame, then
I leave that up to each of you to post an update to the various lists
that this report is sent to.

Michael Fray
Unit Combat Artillery for the Condottieri
Steppes Deputy Knight Marshal
Combat Archery Authorizing Marshal at Large
King's Archer
Holder of the Gryce