[Steppes] Great Day

lizdenpeters at juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Sun Aug 15 10:11:45 PDT 2004

I agree wholeheartedly.  I had a wonderful time.  I was able to see the
many areas our artisans are skilled in.  When I see the beautiful hand
wrought items our artisans make, I am overwhelmed by the amount of skill,
artistry, time and research it takes.  I am always amazed by the depth of
knowledge the artisans have as well as each one's enthusiasm for their
crafts.  I really enjoyed talking to all the entrants.

I thought the soteltie (there are over 15 ways to spell that!) contest
was really nifty.  I did some research on sotelties prior to the event
but I really didn't "get it" until I saw the entries at the event.  The
entries were a wonder to behold and all must have been very time
consuming to make; however, all were such fun to look at.  I want to
thank the entrants for showing me this facet of the time period we study.

The dessert revel was a wonderful idea also.  I was running out steam and
all that delicious sugar and high fat stuff really hit the spot and gave
me an energy boost.  The table was beautiful and the food superb. ( I am
running out of superlatives)

And, even though I don't usually enjoy Court, Court at this event was an
exception.  I could actually hear what was going on and our Baron and
Baroness (and Tomas!) and the former Artisans of the Steppes had fun and
made it fun for the rest of us.

And now, for one final thing.  There is a young one among us known as
Suiko (I hope I did not massacre her name) who was entering her first
competition.  She was going to just put out her display for comment;
however, our autocrat (HL Katja -- great move!) made her move her display
into the competition area.  This young lady's area of interest is
medieval Japan and her display was a medieval Japanese meal.  She even
had a cricket cage as part of her display!  The presentation was amazing
and the research very thorough.  She was recognized in Court for her
efforts, and, stayed in persona with a typical Japanese bow, etc.  Vivat
Suiko!

Great event!  Great artwork!  Great food!  Great people!  Great fun!
Thanks to all who worked so hard and  made this event so much fun for me
personally.

YIS,
Nuala