[Steppes] Interesting news item on frescoes

ED Reese edreese at swbell.net
Fri Jun 25 19:26:33 PDT 2004

Quite possibly. There was a great deal of imported silks and other fabrics
from Islamic cultures and countries used in Renaissance Europe. What is
writing to us, was frequently taken simply as decoration -- it's fairly
common to see pictures of Christian figures, like the Madonna, etc.,
wearing clothes modeled on contemporary fashions / models, which have in
their "decoration" devotional phrases like "Allah is the one G_d, and
Mohammed is his Prophet" (I know, that's not _quite_ right, but it doesn't
insult the sentiment).

This happens a lot in Italy. There isn't much information on who the artist
of this Spanish fresco is, but from what I can see, it looks to be in the
Italian style, if not by an Italian painter. I'm sure there will be more
information offered as research continues.

HL Esther of Ennis Merth