[Steppes] Warlord tunic progress

Maura Folsom jauncourt at verizon.net
Mon May 24 12:49:13 PDT 2004

Gerita/Carolle Cox wrote:

> Hey!  Don't feel that way, Please.  You did what was best at the time.
> I think we've all learned a lot from this effort, and when this tunic
> needs replacement we'll know a lot more about fabrics and applique and
> tiny leaves.  Yes, this tunic has been difficult work, and it has taken
> just about two years (and still needs help - see HL Katya's message),
> but won't we all be proud when the Steppes War Lord can finally wear it?
> For my tuppence, I've used non-permanent ways to mark fabric, but
> passing it among so many artisans, that stuff would just wear right off.

Thank you. I'm also stressing, as I'm still sewing garb for my family
(Chris had only 1 day's worth of garb anymore -now he has a nice suit of
1066-era Normans-, and Fredrick has only 1 tunic still, and I've had
size/body changes that make much of my old garb unsable for me...) and
I'm behind, too.

My suggestion for next time the Warlord Tunic is remade is that it be
made in sturdy (but fairly easy to sew/embroider) linen, with
period-style applique work (there's a tapestry, that's 14th century, I
think, and German? done in applique), in a less complex design. And,
perhaps, fewer leaves, or leaves that could be added to as the years go
on. Maybe a period cut, with side gores only, to better show off the
design. But, that should be in another 15 or 20 years...

Marguerie