[Steppes] Re: Cathars, was Living in the Past

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 07:24:21 PDT 2004

Hey Gerita,

Great!  I'll check that one out.  I really thought it was Pope Innocent III that had quoted the line.  I'll double check my notes.  Amaury was barely mentioned in my history book.  Thanks for the Latin, too!  Cool !!

In my book, Histoire de la France, D. Rivière, it mentions about 5000 dead in the "massacres sanglants" (bloody massacres).  It also says, as you mentioned, that Simon de Montfort was killed under the walls of the capital (Toulouse).  Wow!  The numbers!  It says that the Inquisition tribunals actually unearthed numerous Cathar cadavers and burned them which provoked the whole thing in the first place and thats when the Cathars took refuge in the large forteresses.  Many Inquisitors were assassinated in 1242 which stirred things up further and the Cathars held siege from May 1243 to March 1244.  Finally, at Montségur, the movement was defeated.  More than 200 cathars were burned alive!  How sad!!

Gabrielle (I'm thinking about downloading all of these emails from the vegetarianism to the Cathars into a word file.  This is good stuff!!)
Gerita/Carolle Cox <hpockets at verizon.net> wrote:
I'm awake now.  Thanks, Gabrielle!  The book is Stephen O'Shea's "The Perfect Heresy".  It's a fascinating history of the Medieval Cathar movement.
Beziers was attacked because of "Cathar leaning" .  The town was a mixture of Catholic and Cathar, co-existing peacefully.  It was here that Arnold Amaury said "Kill them all.  God will know his own". (Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus Qui sunt eius).  The bones of approximately 1000 women, children, and aged were found under the church floor in an 1840 renovation effort.  The town was torched after it was looted by the attacking soldiers. Carcasonne was next.  The leader of this mess, Simon de Montfort, is alleged to have died at Toulouse after pretty much laying it to waste as well. Pretty much the entirety of Languedoc was pillaged in this "religious war".

Allegedly, in modern times, Hitler and his cronies were part of a "Cathar Pagan society"  <shudder>  Talk about a study in opposites!

And there, in a nutshell, is the destruction of the Cathars, a peaceful Christian sect with a different way of showing their devotion to G--.

Gerita

People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross