[Steppes] Knitting exhibition

Chiara chiara at io.com
Tue Sep 28 08:58:38 PDT 2004

From: Morgan Cain (Ret.)
To: elfsea at ansteorra.org ; steppes at ansteorra.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 12:29 AM
Subject: Knitting and Crocheting Day in DFW

Not strictly SCA, but knitting dates to pre-1600 and I know a lot of SCA
people in the Metroplex knit or crochet and are probably not a members of
the many groups and guilds participating in this event, so I hope the list
owners let this go through.  Consider it a PSA.

The annual Knit Out and Crochet Too! event for the DFW area is this coming
Saturday, October 2nd, from 10:00am to 6:00pm.  It will be held at the Half
Price Books on Northwest Highway, just east of Central, in Dallas.  There is
NO charge to attend, and NO charge for any of the classes, help, handouts,
etc.   We have teachers for beginners and on more advanced topics in both
knitting and crocheting.  We have door prizes from LYS and others.  We have
regular classes and on-going "help me!" corners.  We will be collecting
items to donate to charities supported by the LYS such as Parkland Hospital
and the NYFD Scarves Project, and yarn for the Tarrant County Women's Prison
project.

So far, both crocheting guilds and a majority of the knitting guilds and
mixed-creativity groups in the Metroplex are actively participating (except
the one co-running the knitting demo at the Celtic Heritage Festival the
following weekend), and we expect members from all the groups to attend at
some point.  It's a great way to meet others, learn about new yarn shops
(did you know that we have fourteen in the greater Metroplex and
surroundings?), and get in some very productive hooking and needling.  This
is the biggest event yet for the Metroplex since the year we had to hold it
in two LYS since one could no longer handle the crowds.  We have people from
Tyler, Waco, Bedford, and Denton saying they will attend.

Historical accuracy is highly optional - the key element is to have fun!

                                                    ---= Margo Lynn
(formerly "little Morgan")