[Steppes] FW: Stargate?

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 10:49:58 PDT 2004

>From: Jann Mays <hlgabrielle at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Steppes] FW: Stargate?
>Not necessarily SCA.  I've noticed a lot of "live steel" fights at the Texas
>Renfaire amongst the rennies in the private campgrounds.  Scared the hooey out
>of me, too.  Remember, Renfaire (TRF) is near Houston.  After seeing what I've
>seen down there, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
>Gabrielle

While Annes has suggested this particular 'assault' was not SCA'ers to our knowledge, the
popularity of current sword-n-shield movies and their accompanying collectibles has a lot of folks
purchasing ornamental swords of late.  While not confirmed, I've read that the SCA'ers in Lochac
may soon be required to have their SCA membership cards on them if they transport metal swords or
use them in ceremonial courts, as ormanental swords maybe restricted to the general public soon;
though there are caviats being made for re-enactment or theatrical groups.

Frankly, I think it's the public being in panic mode, a machette can be purchased at the lawn and
garden store (as posted earlier), and large 10in. cooking knives are just a dangerous as large
ornamental knives on a Viking's belt.
Hillary