[Steppes] Mighty Mini Archery Contest at 12th Night -- EVERYONE welcome!!!

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Fri Jan 2 08:07:25 PST 2004

A post to clarify both the rules and the spirit of the thing....

First, it is going to be a contest in the 12th Night Spirit of "Lord of
Misrule" fun that inspired the original tradition.

First, safe fun!

I would ask you to limit the poundage on these "toys" to a five pound draw
on the
prod.  The entire device should fit within a 12 inch by 12 inch area square,
uncocked.  The
last needs to be manufactured to use only food items as ammo (no converted
bolt shooters)!

There are possibly safe exceptions to this rule, of course. If you aren't
sure, or would just like to display your very good handiwork to an
enthusiastic crowd, please bring the weapon with you. Archery marshals will
make the call on the field as to its safety.

Siege engines will be inspected and determined safe or display on the day --
I simply do not have the knowledge necessary to make intelligent rules, and
there will be Gentles present who do. But please -- bring them, and show
them off! What better way to enthuse the souls of you fellow subjects before
following the Sable Throne into war at Gulf!

Second, verisimilitude!

Food ammo only. Please limit it to marshmallows, grapes, olives, cheese
blocks -- other ammo will be considered by the marshals on the field for
safety and appropriateness. Skill and accuracy as opposed to smashing power
will tell in this contest, simply for the sake of safety!

And your targets ~ why, a feast table and DINERS, of course! ;-) Also --
Equestrian Archery!!! (Trust me, trust me!!!)

Third, EVERYONE IS WELCOME. For some of the contests, especially Equestrian
Archery, loaner equipment will be available for some serious silliness. (If
you don't mind sharing, feel free to join in as lender and instructor for
those without the good fortune to have one of these marvelous machines!!!!)

And yes, there are PRIZES!!!!! FABULOUS PRIZES!!!

Come, good my friends -- let us play our little non-cotton stockings off!!!

HL Esther of Ennis Merth