[Steppes] A bit OT, need info....

kellie H kgsfa86 at swbell.net
Fri Mar 26 08:39:32 PST 2004

OK linguists, I have a question.  I just ran across what I think is a misspelling, based on my previous repeated exposure to the word...my Oxford is in the attic....

"hey penny"  was how the text spelled it, referencing the slang for the British half-penny.
I have always seen it spelled "ha' penny", but PRONOUNCED "HEY penny".    The text is a blacksmithing manual, I have no idea how else the author might have been exposed to the word.  I think the manual is self-published (ie no one checking the text for obtuse context like that).

Comments?

Catrin