FW: [Steppes] Gulf War site

Jackie Saunders jsaunders at Evercom.net
Wed Sep 15 14:48:48 PDT 2004

Don't worry, Linet, that part of the country is quite used to
hurricanes, and, in fact, suffered hugely from them throughout the 70's
and 80's.  Hurricanes tend to group themselves for landing spots -- the
last few years, it has been Florida and its environs, but the Gulf Coast
area has gotten more than their fair share, as well.  We live far enough
away from the coast for it not to bother us much, but I'm originally
from Beaumont, and believe me, we got hit by some real monsters (Carla
comes to mind, instantly).  One of the worst hurricanes of the 20th
Century hit Galveston in the 20's, I think, and killed more than 5,000
people, as I recall -- as well as devastating a much smaller and less
populous Houston.

If Ivan does hit in the Mobile area, which is certainly a good guess
right now, with level 5 winds, there could be significant damage to
buildings close to the coast, and likely damage to buildings and the
forested areas even as far north as Birmingham.  I don't think that
there will be damages that should have a long-term effect on the
feasibility of Gulf Wars, but we might see some deterioration of the
site.  Of course, if the site is really devastated, we might have to
consider an alternate site with less damage, but in fairness, we should
be supportive of the site and stay there unless it is totally unlivable
(a remote possibility).

Saqra