[Steppes] shoulder

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 20:45:58 PDT 2004

OK, I'm nit-picking now...

  From what I understand, and from the epidurals that I've had, you *can*
have a pain pump on an epidural - which numbs the lower half of your body.
But since Morgan is having his shoulder operated on, he is probably not
having an epidural.  I have had a nerve block to the arm that was very
similar, but it wasn't an epidural.

Pain pumps can be hooked up to your IV and deliver a measured amount of pain
relief every time you push the delivery button. No waiting for nurses to
answer your call.  You *are* limited as to how much you can receive of the
drug, just in case you are button-happy. I think they gave me morphene or
demerol last time, but I'm not sure;-0

I just remembered...if you need to go to the bathroom and are thinking about
hitting the button, go to the bathroom first, get back in bed - then push
the button. Otherwise, you might have problems getting back into the bed:-)

Not a trained medical personnel, just an enlightened consumer.

Xene